Friday, August 26, 2016

Happy Anniversary -- Mom and Dad

Today marks 55 years for my in laws - Lowell and Marilyn - or as we call them -- Mom and Dad.

Happy Anniversary!!   55 years -- wow -- that is an accomplishment for any couple!!
1987 - Wedding Day.

I went digging this evening for some photos --I was not thinking ahead -- I could of screen shot a few from her own collection, but failed.   Sorry...my 'cheap' camera takes will have to do!!

 Lowell/Marilyn -- Mom - Dad -- Happy Anniversary!! 
We will celebrate with dinner this weekend -- but I wanted to take the liberty of writing a bit.

I got to thinking about WHAT  to write and then asked God and He did enlighten me to something - a place in scripture....

 Proverbs 31.  I know most associate this with a godly woman -- but tonight -- this related to this godly couple! 

Hymn to a Good Wife/Husband! 

10-31 A good woman is hard to find, and so is a good husband -- and together -- I believe they are worth so much!!  
    --Yes,  worth far more than diamonds.
Her husband trusts her without reserve,
    and never has reason to regret it.



Enjoying Disney with us! 


OH my -- he looks like my husband - BP! 




I have seen this displayed over and over in the 35 years I have known each of them.  I love my parents dearly however, I moved away when I was 21 ...and LP and MP ...have certainly always treated me as their daughter and not an 'in -law' or 'out-law'.!!   God was/is  so sweet to give me that kind of a relationship!   I have seen both Lowell and Marilyn trust  God without reserve and trust each other through God!!  
Never spiteful, she treats him generously
    all her life long.  I thought about this and over the past 30+ years there have been tears, laughs, rough seasons, and maybe some frustrating moments .. but I have always seen Lowell treat Marilyn with such generosity and I have never seen him be spiteful.  The same goes for her!   One of the reasons, I believe is key -- their devotion to Our Heavenly Father and trusting in God to fight all battles and changed minds and hearts. 
She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,
    and enjoys knitting and sewing.   OK, if you know them..they BOTH shop around well.  They especially LOVE to find antiques!   And mom used to sew -- but she'd rather find the right piece of clothing at a Thrift store now!! 
She’s like a trading ship that sails to faraway places
    and brings back exotic surprises.   They have been blessed with many travels and always always will bring back the grand-kids gifts -- always so thoughtful! 
She’s up before dawn, preparing breakfast
    for her family and organizing her day.   Up before dawn...  yes...  she is always preparing meals but now -- mostly to entertain a couple or two from church -- she certainly has taught many about 'southern hospitality' and she is a Yankee!!   And dad... well, he never sleeps !!   There is usually 2x a month or more where you will see his car parked in front of the Insurance office at 4am!  
She looks over a field and buys it,
    then, with money she’s put aside, plants a garden.  I remember some of the first 'money' lessons they taught us -- first about tithing and then about setting up a budget and using envelopes to help save money and stay within budget!!   It says "she'll plant a garden"....  Have you ever seen her take left - overs and turn them into the most amazing meal??  She is indeed a wise woman!  Dad too. 
First thing in the morning, she dresses for work,
    rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.  This is true of Dad too...!!! 
She senses the worth of her work,
    is in no hurry to call it quits for the day. And dad has to be told to quit and go home!!  
In Wisconsin ... some 10+ years ago!

She’s skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,
    diligent in homemaking.
She’s quick to assist anyone in need,
    reaches out to help the poor.  Both LP and MP are most generous and have opened their home and hearts to many different people!! 
She doesn’t worry about her family when it snows;
    their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.  Mom is always prepared...there is gum in her purse...cash for the child  ( my hubby) who never has money in his pocket ( he pays her back - I think!), and before you even have the chance to ask, she is offering to visit someone in the hospital or be where ever she is needed! 
She makes her own clothing,
    and dresses in colorful linens and silks.
Her husband is greatly respected
    when he deliberates with the city fathers.  I believe they both are highly respected  -- in and around the city but also -- within their circle of influence. 
She designs gowns and sells them,
    brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.  Ok, Mom may not be currently making any clothing to sell -- but she can FIND the BEST bargains while she shops with her friends.   Often we all benefit from her finds.   And Dad too -- not that he finds good deals while shopping for clothes but seems to find the best deals for horses, hay, and the various piece of scrap metal at the dump that he turns into a treasure! 
Her clothes are well-made and elegant,
    and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.  That is TRUE... there is always a smile on BOTH of their faces -- even in a storm!! 
When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,
    and she always says it kindly.   Amen, and she will quickly remind you as well -- don't say anything unless it is worth it!! 
She keeps an eye on everyone in her household,
    and keeps them all busy and productive. So very true of each of them -- as a team, a godly team - they have exhibited such grace and mercy while keeping an eye on SO many! 
Her children respect and bless her;
    her husband joins in with words of praise:
“Many women have done wonderful things,
    but you’ve outclassed them all!”  We all truly know and understand how RARE it is to have what LP and MP have....as we have watched them live their lives according to God's Word.   They are walking testimonies! 
Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.
    The woman  and  her husband are to be admired and praised
    is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.
Give her everything she deserves!
    Festoon her life with praises!   Amen. 


Lord, for both Lowell and Marilyn - on this EVE of their 55th wedding anniversary -- I thank you for them, I thank you for their example to us and others around.  I thank you for giving me parents "here" when mine were so far away and walking through this growing up business!! 

 Lord, I pray for the wife who sat by herself at the ball game this eve -- may one day, her children write in this manner about their mom and their dad...... 

Lord, for the wife that wants to quit cause she does not see how they can make it to their 2nd wedding anniversary -- much less their 55th .....

And Lord, for the wife that recently lost her husband....  Lord, I thank you for the example that my inlaws have displayed to me and many others...but I pray for the hurting couples right now -- that they would SEEK you and know ..there is HOPE!  

And again for the ones grieving this eve -- may they remember they will rejoice again when they see their spouse in heaven!!   

But mostly Lord, please bless  Lowell and Marilyn  - Mom and Dad on this most honored day -- Happy 55th Wedding Anniversary!!  
Amen.  

- humbled...chell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!