Saturday, June 20, 2020

Dad


Hello Dad - and Happy Father's Day  - it was a delight and JOY to plan this 50th celebration and I love the smile on your face in this photo.  You maybe didn't set out to be the father of nine and yet, maybe that was one of your dreams.  I figure you wanted help on the farm, but in reality, I watch you now in the last 10 years and I see the LOVE in your eyes when you are with your children and their different personalities and I am pretty sure you are glad for EACH of us! 
 
This photos - 2010 -   I look pretty tired and I certainly needed that kiss!  I am sure I told this to you - but back in that VERY hard time -- I know that I know - God told you to call me. 

 And you see, THAT was a miracle - cause you NEVER call. 

 I watched Mom over and over do ALL of your calling.  I have observed you now answer your cell phone, but it is usually related to some Farm Progress Adventure or maybe a game of cards.  But anyway, when I look at this picture, that WAS my heart and face that night when you called me. 

 If I remember correctly, I was going back into town to work, late at night , and I was crying and yelling at God that I needed to know I was loved and that HE was working in the middle of my present STORM .  That night- that was my prayer and I was probably screaming it at God.  And guess what ?  The phone rang and I answered it quickly cause I figured something was wrong.  As I said, you NEVER called me -- but it was just you saying that you were thinking of me and I LOST it.  I  bawled and I knew I said thank you - but, THAT memory was indeed God - speaking to me through  YOU.   But I reminded myself that night, I had an earthly Father and a Heavenly Father that were indeed loving on me right then.  


I also thought of a few troubled times that you have walked through. I am sure your perspective is different than mine.  And maybe I am WAY off, but this eve, as I was praying for you thinking of this blog, I was overcome with the memory of the time, when the farm was sold.  I can't imagine what was going on in your head and heart and then the emotions that probably were not dealt with or maybe are still a very sore subject.  I wept and wanted to just say -- 'sorry' -- back than at that time, I was way to self-centered to notice and I am indeed sorry for that.  But, I also wanted to say that you obviously found strength somewhere -- and I am believing that is/was in the Gospels that I am pretty sure you probably read more than maybe you  would admit.  



And, these photos were sent to me tonight -- I see you enjoyed some time on the water with Aaron and Aaron!  And you were successful with catching some fish.  I think that is pretty cool.   As a farmer you produced crops and a managed herds and you were very successful.  As a dad, you were the best dad that you could be.  And as a fisherman, I pray that you catch much ...much joy, much peace, and the redemption grace of Christ.  

The scripture in Ephesians 6 .4 says:  "Fathers, do not exasperate your children: instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord".   
 I so appreciate ALL that you did to make sure we went to school at St. Henry's.  

Hebrews 12. 11 says:  "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."  
I have said this before, our childhood and our time on the farm had many GOOD memories and some, not so good, but I believe in this scripture and I have seen the peace that has come from it.  You did train us as best as you could.  I am thankful for what I learned from you!    

Ephesians 6.1 also says:  "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.  Honor your father and mother -- which is the first commandment with a promise - so that if may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on earth."  

Dad, Happy Father's Day.  As I was thinking about a card for you and this blogged card, I was walking and thinking about what maybe was going around in your head as a young father.  

I am sure you had dreams and expectations.  I am sure you wanted to do some things like your father did but also I bet there were ideas and things that you wanted to do differently.  

I  listened to you for over 18 years and then I meandered to college and away so my adult  time was  limited with you, but in thelast 10 years,  each time we are together, I cherish the memories!   
These past few weeks, I have been remembering the Sheepshead we played at Daryl's those  nights  and the old lessons of 'trump' and who is a 'good partner'.  But I also just enjoyed the peace and fun with playing a simple game. 

 But I also remember the many nights you'd tease us and play with us in the barn.  

  • I remember being scared by you - cause you'd like to spook us -
  • I remember quickly hopping in the car and going to the fields where the ripe english peas were ready to be picked before the canning company got them - 
  • I remember being on that tractor as you stacked the bales on that wagon and then we'd unload them later - 
  • I remember the many days of stone picking and how we'd ride in the loader and you'd scare the crud out of us as you teased - 
  • I remember you whistling as you'd feed the grain to the cows - 
  • I remember how you'd adjust or write ON the mini - chalkboards above the cows as to when they were in heat or not - 
  • I remember getting a lecture about HOW to properly sit on the fender when you were cutting hay or raking - 
  • I remember  how you'd stand in the barn and talk to a salesman or maybe Grandpa and continue to milk -
  • I remember testing days -- OH what fun with the bottles and the mild samples - 
  • I remember how you'd stand in the milk house and watch the cows in the pasture and make notes about who was in heat - 
  • I remember many calves being born and how you'd have to tie up that pully thing and pull some out - 
  • I remember that glass jar of egg nog on the pipes above the sink in the milk house - 
  • I remember getting those new hay wagons that had to be painted - 
  • I remember trying to hide in hay forts way up in that shed attached to the barn - 
  • I remember that Christmas when the snowmobiles were purchased - 
  • I remember picking out furniture in Beaver Dam for the new house - 
  • I remember those Dodge County dairy meetings and that cold chocolate milk or orange drink they'd feed us - 

OH - I could go on -- there are many GOOD memories -- many.  

I just wanted to honor you and remind you that you were appreciated and put it in writing!   I am not sure I ever wrote a blog for you - maybe I have already.  
Anyway - Happy Father's Day - love you - much - Chell 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!