Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday, April 4th....those hands...

Back in April of 2011, I posted about Grandma.
On Monday, April 4, 2o11.

I will repost again:


Monday, April 4, 2011:



Those hands. Each morning, I am able to run to Circle K, get coffee and take it to Grma Africa. She is not 'really' my grandmother, but I claim her. She is really Brendan's grandma. My own grandma, the only one I have left is in Wisconsin and very well, for which I am thankful. This grandma, took a fall almost a month ago and has begun nursing home life. I keep telling her each day - to get stronger so she can walk on home, but she just smiles and says things like,"that is a good idea".


She will usually ask me once or twice, "so where were you going?"

" I came to see you Grandma." "oh" "Well, where were you going before you came here?"

" I was headed to school."


Each morning, I find her in a different position. Some mornings alert and others not so alert. I will say that today - she seemed her most alert. She wanted to hold her coffee cup and guide it to her mouth, but really can't hold it by herself.


I will ask her how she slept. What she had for lunch or supper the day before, and I ask her if she is in pain. By then, she will ask me again, "so where are you going". Some days the confusion is a little more.


Some days I try and ask her about Africa - this is a woman who spent over 30 years there as a missionary with her husband. She taught school, ran the Women's Ministries and made dinner for the President of the country -- and now, she needs me to hold her head up and let her sip some coffee.


By the way, I don't even love coffee. It took me 2-3 cups /trials before I got the right taste for her and the right amount of ice cubes so that she could drink it when I got there. And I was not sure she was remembering that I did this until this am when she said, "hey, I missed you yesterday". I did not have the heart to tell her that I had 'skipped' both Friday, Saturday, and Sunday as there was just too many things that got my attention instead. AFter she said that today - you can bet I won't let a day go past without taking her the coffee.


House Blend. No cream or sugar. Only get 1/2 a cup, add 4 ice cubes from soda machine. Buy it - $1.60 ( I tired to ask the clerk to charge me for a 1/2 cup, but he did not agree.) Then proceed to the Nursing/Rehab Place next to the hospital. Walk in the front door and then wake her up.


I added my routine, just in case I was unable to do this one day -- you could fill in.


Anyway, I say I bring her coffee ..and yet, she brings me so much more.


To rub her head, brush the hair out of her eyes and see into thoe gray /blue eyes and to see this 93 year old body fight to cough or sit up. ... is not only heartwarming, but, it is therpy for me.


I mean - I know I get more from her than she gets from me.


Today, I felt as if God was speaking directly through her with HIS eyes and HE reminded me that no matter what, she was my grandma. No matter what. No matter what, I would always have family and 'this' was my family. No matter what, I was in HIS will and HE was so proud of me - HE esteemed me. You see - why wouldn't I take her coffee each morning when God is right there with her and my spirit communes with hers.


That is a blessing.


So, why the photo of her hands? Today, I just really noticed how small they had become, how pretty they were - all with the veins and all, but also, how she would just pat my hands as she waited for another sip .. it just blessed me so.


So, I encourage anyone with a grandma .. .enjoy them . .take them coffee . . do what you can to enjoy their wisdom, their love, and let then bless you in ways you probably never even imagined.


I love you Grandma!


Grandma, this verse spoke to me .. .you labored for our Lord - thank you.


1 Corn 15.58

Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing more you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord, is NOT in vain.

1 comment:

  1. Grandma went to see Jesus....Monday, May 7th at 6:55 pm. Amen.
    Now those hands are being held by Jesus.
    Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!