Friday, April 4, 2014

The MEEK will inherit the earth...am I meek?

Christian Character is formed NOT by outward compulsion but by inward COMPASSION.

I want to be meek.  Did some study on this and shared it with some sweet ladies -- have to share on this blog too so I can come back and read it again and again.

Webster's Dictionary says being meek is being humbly patient or compliant, spiritless and tame
Most contemporary translations in the bible changed meek into gentleness and humility.

The King James version of Galatians 5.22-23 uses the work meekness....as a fruit of the spirit.


Galatians 5:22-23

King James Version (KJV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

The New Living Translation says...

Galatians 5:22-23

New Living Translation (NLT)
22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

The New Living Translation uses the work gentleness -- 

There are many and many more studies and articles about the Fruits of the Spirit. 
I found this in a commentary by Matthew Henry that  the original work MEEK as it was intended in the GREEK ....is not merely a natural virtue but a Christian 'grace'.

It clearly states in Matthew --


Matthew 5:5
New International Version (NIV)

Blessed are the meek,    for they will inherit the earth.

There are two essential components for this quality to come into play in the Bible: a conflict, in which an individual is unable to control or influence circumstances and then we'd get frustrated and maybe bitter and angry, but the one who is guided by God's spirit accepts God's ability to direct events.  And then two -- an action.   Meekness is therefore an active and deliberate acceptance of undesirable circumstances ...that are only part of a bigger picture.  


In the Greek, this word when applied to animals makes  clear,  it means 'tame' when applied to wild animals  - such animals have NOT lost their strength but have learned to control the destructive instincts that prevent them from living in harmony with others.   

So, like a wild horse that has to be broken...as we allow the fruit of meekness, then we are broken before Him and then 'tamed' for service for Him.  We have GREAT power.

The Spirit of the meek Christian is not broken but broken in and harnessed for service.  

Meekness is calm confidence. 
Meekness is settled assurance. 
Meekness is a rest of the soul in a place of peace. 
Meekness spring from a heart of humility.  


With meekness we can rest in storms...See Matthew 11. 28-30
Others wil be fearful - See Mark 4. 35-41 but those with Meekness will react with peace and trust...See  Isaiah 26. 3-4

And... when fretful or fearful people try to manipulate, see James 4. 1-3 - a person with meekness makes ALL life choices based on Psalm 119.105. 

HIS word is a LIGHT unto my feet.

I can write and list at least 10 more illustrations where fretful people.....but meek people.....

I believe MEEKNESS is vital for a marriage...for a relationship with a co-worker, a character trait to be taught to our children and practiced.  

I did not realize HOW important it was to be meek.   And the other fruit of SELF- Control is RIGHT there will it.  God listed it last...sort of like a 'summary' in a sense.  

Without Self-Control ...the other Fruits of the Spirit can be unused or misused. 

Love can become saccharine sentimentality - 
Joy becomes heady euphoria - 
Peace become complacency - 
Patience become leniency - 
Kindness becomes blandness - 
Goodness becomes self-righteousness - 
Faithfulness becomes slavishness - and 
              Gentleness becomes weakness.  


Christian Character is formed not by outward compulsion but my inward compassion. Not by legal regulation but by spiritual reformation.  It is the Holy Spirit who lives within me...lives within you...If you are filled with the Holy Spirit, you will produce the fruits of the Spirit as surely as an apple trees bears fruit!  It will happen. 

Be Meek.  


Lord,  as I come to you I pray -- show me if I am 1/4, 1/5, or even a 2%...into  my 'meekness' level.  Lord, I want to be 100% sold into You ...and displaying the meekness you so stated in YOUR word.   Lord, I thank you for this lesson and what it has taught me.  God as the ladies in our Cell group heard the lesson - may it be knowledge for them to help them LIVE according to YOUR will with such joy! 

Lord, I pray that I will be humble and meek..towards my husband, my children, and then my church and school families...Lord, I pray that anyone reading this will stop, reflect and ask themselves - do I need a meekness check up?  Am I meek? 

 Lord, I am not timid or mousy, I believe I am 'tamed' and under control.  Lord, meekness is FAR too often confused with weakness -- If I am strong enough to inherit the earth ( See Matthew 5.5 )...then, I am capable of displaying meekness to  my fellow warriors.  Lord, I pray I will be meek in all circumstances but mostly I pray that I will be a Spirit - filled Christian that is meek before GOD.  God I continue to ask you to bless this blog as I write...it is such therapy and healing and I pray it will be a good lesson to the one that reads it as well.  In Jesus name.  Lord, I pray  that as You TAME me...I yield.  Amen.

Meekness..Humble...I can tell you this - this safety course ( which I passed ) was the HARDEST thing
I ever did and it HUMBLED me!!!  BUT now I have this 'power'..I have a legal cycle
license...wow...'tamed' -- with power and ready to serve!

1 comment:

  1. The kingdoms of earth fight each other (like wild animals) in order to gain dominance over a certain portion of earth; in the kingdom of heaven, Jesus and his disciples remain gentle (like tame sheep) in order to show mercy, even toward enemies. While the meek/gentle will lose out in the rat race for land and power now, they will win in the end; they will simply inherit the earth from their heavenly and merciful Father.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!