Thursday, August 4, 2011

. . sisters . .











Sisters:










What a blessing sisters are. And yet, I never gave my daughter one - only a brother. Too selfish? Yep. I guess growing up with SO many siblings was a pain at the time, but NOW . .I love the fact that there are so many of us. And we are all different. But, truth be told. . . .pregnancy was not easy for me and after two C-sections I decided that one girl and one boy was enough so Taylor will just have to get used the the idea that one day, her sister - n - law will be the best sister she can have. But THAT is not the topic of this blog . . .


Sisters . .I have three of them. One is right after me in the line of birth and then I had to wait 11 years for a 2nd one. There were 3 brothers in between and her birth was celebrated. I remember changing her diaper, being so proud of her as I was 11 going on 12 and many realized she was not my daughter but my sister and her red hair . .made everyone stop and look.



Diann is a teacher too. Her temper was /is like mine - hot. ( I have since mellowed. ) She has similar interests and likes. She is very creative and artistic. I remember her following me around the one summer my parents were building our family home and she was into everything I had to do. I did a lot of painting, planting of trees and then I did some stenciling on the garage door. My dad wanted it monogrammed but we could not afford a professional so I did it and did a pretty good job on it but I remember that summer -- 'bear' is what we called Diandra, as she would want to help me and she couldn't. Diann was also the one who hopped a plane often in college and visited. She just turned 34 . .and now has 3 of her own kids. Two girls and a boy. It is a joy to watch her be a mother and 'brag' about my new teaching job as she truly appreciates the banter back and forth. However, the best thing about her is that we share a love of our Lord and we can chat about that, fuss about that, and then call each other and pray. I look forward to the day when we can sit by the beach or go to a movie . .and watch our grandkids play . . .and just relax and talk about our teaching days. When she had the time to talk, my kids were little and we were always interrupted. Now when I have the time to talk, her kids ar little and she gets pulled away . .soon . .we will be uninterrupted, that, or we will have to take a childless/grandkid less vacation soon and just have that time. Until then, I can dream about it.



I guess I was very jealous of my other sister when she was born, that I had to be sent to Grandma's for a month . ..so that my mom could adjust to 2 children - under the age of 2. I believe we are 21 months apart. As a kid, she was just always there. We shared a bedroom and she could never fall asleep. I would have to tell her stories. I would get so annoyed. She could have friends over and play and I just never really wanted to play with them so she had her friends to herself. When I wanted friends over, I had to include her as that is what a big sister does. Can you sense a bit of envy? It began that way I guess, being so close. We were the best of buddies or worst enemies for most of our childhood and it stayed that way until a beautiful little boy came into our lives and changed us both - as we needed each other then. Blake was born. Now, I get the pleasure of living in Florida with my sister, and even though we don't spend as much time as I think both of us would like - together -- when we do, we are blessed and it is great. I will never forget last summer at the Gaylord with her - and my boot buying bikini experience . .I don't like to share that with too many but, it is a laugh we will always have.



And then I have a younger one. She was born when I was 19 and I was in college. So when ever I had her - I was embarrassed that people would think she was mine. She grew up so fast . . . I was away, at college and then moved to Florida, I never got to know this one until she was older. Brendan would always comment that she looks like me -- now - she has the opposite color hair and I don't see as much resemblance anymore, but I am never around her enough to see. But -- someday!! I still hope and pray God will bring another one of my sisters to Florida - she, Brittan, came one time and the two hurricanes scared her away. I believe Taylor was the most disappointed as the two of them are only six years apart . .they are truly sisters!! However, I get to spend moment with her and when we are together, I believe we are more alike than different.


Sisters . .it is RARE that we all get to see each other at the same time, it has only happened in our adult lives . about 3-4 times but when it does, watchout. I guess God has HIS best interest at heart in keeping us across the miles . ha ha .


Lord, I thank you for my sisters. I love them dearly and pray that YOU keep them safe - thank you for our recent 'sister' night out and the laughs we had. Lord, bring us more unique times like that - thank you for our mother as well - what a blessing.

Amen.


Sisters . . I pray that each of them, would be Your sheep and listen to YOUR voice, as YOu know them, and they follow YOU - John 10.27 Thank you Lord for my sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!