Friday, June 6, 2014

-the VALUE in a number -

I got some numbers today.

Numbers seem to measure stuff.


  • The number or measurement of 80% effaced and 8 cm dilated means a WHOLE lot to a nurse and an expectant mom.  
  • When you join Weight Watchers, you get a number that gives you a starting point and each Tuesday or whatever day you go to weigh in - you get a new number. 
  • There is a number on the scale within my bedroom.  It is  important.  Or maybe it is not that important but I make it to be.  
  • Head to a doctor's office and numbers sometimes PUT you in the hospital.  
  • As a teacher, I get test scores and numbers when I get a student - to help me evaluate what the best placement if for that child.  
  • There are numbers as we figure out our budget and when we plan a party or go out to eat. 
  • Numbers constantly remind us of appointments and a specific number can either keep the cop sitting on the side of the road or it will prompt the cop to come and follow me! 
  • As a child...I just wanted to be older...now, I would love to repeat a few ages.  
  • And there are even numbers that we think and ponder about - like when a new woman we meet says she has been married 3x or married for 25 years.  There is a conclusion made.  Sometimes there is action taken because of those numbers.  
  • And I will be silly - since my Father-n-law was in the hospital 2 weeks ago, we have continued to tease him about his 'numbers'...the number of times he had a BM....it is needed...and when we see each other I will say, "Dad, I am at 2 today" and wait for his response - LOL. 
  •  Finally, I have sat in the 'administration' part of an office where numbers decided a person's future as an employee.  
  • Numbers -- they are needed but....


Today I got numbers.  FCAT numbers.  Praise GOD those numbers DO NOT define who I am.

Praise God I am NOT defined by a test score or a report from Tallahassee.  Now, I do admit - when those numbers are high - I smile - even though I realize that was not ALL my doing.....  If those numbers are low - I have to FORCE myself and remind myself that those numbers are just that...numbers.....it does NOT define me. And those numbers DO NOT define my students - God does.

 This year, those numbers were right on - what I expected, but still they were crunched and looked at and I still had to remind myself...THOSE numbers DO not define me...nor do they define those students that sat in my room for 180 days.....  God defines me.


This is WHO I am...

Psalm 139

For the choir director: A psalm of David.

Lord, you have examined my heart
    and know everything about me.
You know when I sit down or stand up.
    You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.
You see me when I travel
    and when I rest at home.
    You know everything I do.
You know what I am going to say
    even before I say it, Lord.
You go before me and follow me.
    You place your hand of blessing on my head.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too great for me to understand!
       ***
.
13 You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
    and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
    Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
    as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
16 You saw me before I was born.
    Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
    before a single day had passed.
17 How precious are your thoughts about me,[b] O God.
    They cannot be numbered!
18 I can’t even count them;
    they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
    you are still with me!
           ***
1
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 Point out anything in me that offends you,
    and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

I am - God's...


This is HIS word.  


Romans 4.5 speaks about how people are counted as righteous, not because of their works but because of their faith -- in God who forgives sinners.  God forgives.  God heals. God restores.    There must be godly repentance first -- but the bottom line is  -- it really is between me and God.  I can watch my children and my friends and believe that they have a personal connection and relationship with Christ...and I can see fruit...I can see their actions -- but still - it is really just between them and  God.  God knows WHO I am.  I know WHO I am through God.  I know whom I need to forgive...and I know when I need to move away and start anew.  I know -- cause I am living by that faith....as I do understand HOW much God has forgiven me of.    
I am blessed, chosen, accepted, adopted, forgiven and redeemed.
 

I am righteous -- ONLY through Christ.  

I am the RIGHT teacher for the students HE placed into my path. 
I am fearfully and wonderfully made... and I am NOT defined by a number.  

However..God DOES know EXACTLY how many gray and blonde hairs are on this head....this head that is heading to bed.   

Thank you Lord - for many answers to questions and prayers  -- 
Thank you Lord, for reminding me -- it really is not a matter of being on 'this person's side' or 'that person's side' of a conflict or problem -- it is a matter of being on TEAM JESUS...

Thank you Lord, for the better test scores this year - as I know a few of my students did pray to you and ask for help.  

Thank you Lord, for going to that cross -- to take the sin of the world and my sin.  
Thank you Lord, for being the ONE person that will never lie to me.  
Thank you Lord, for - being the one that defines me.  


Lord, someone else needed this reminder this eve -- and Lord, someone reading this DOES NOT have that relationship with Christ - with YOU as they need ...and they know it...

God I pray that he or she will just ask YOU into their heart this moment.  
And Lord, I know that someone reading this ....is seeking forgiveness...from you...and they have to forgive themselves as well...Lord, I pray courage over that one...may it happen right now.  I do not need confirmation or a text...I know that THIS is Your blog - a tool YOU use to reach -- God I thank you - amen.  









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!