Sunday, July 12, 2015

PURIM -- the Whole Megillah ( say MEE GEEH la)

The Book of Ruth  is a study within the bible, of a girl named Ester.  It is one of my favorite stories and I continue to learn and learn from it.

I am getting ready to HOST a bible study  by Beth Moore on Ester and one of the exercises to do as you read the book of Ruth is an acrostic graphic organizer  in the form of the word  PURIM.

PURIM is a  celebration  -  the deliverance of the Jews from their enemies and each year the whole Megillah would be retold and read, so that all would know of HOW God provided a way for HIS people to continue.


I am by NO means making light of this tradition, but as I was looking at the acrostic - I wanted to share.

P - Parties
U - Unknowns
R - Resources
I - Ironies
M - Moments

As I want to tell and retell -- to whomever will read and listen...that God certainly delivered me and HE 'delivered' a perfect week in Wisconsin as a gift to my folks and I give ALL credit for being the thoughts in my head and the strength to accomplish a mighty task.  


In the previous 3-4 months, I have been in prayer and doing my best to plan a party.  How many would come?  Could the 9 of us ...all get along?  Would the 9 of us all work together?  And.... the weather -- Lord, we need a beautiful day!!   Music?   Food?  And the expectations of 'others' and their 50th celebrations .....it all meant a bit of stress.  However, as I said, I prayed it through and asked MANY around me to join me in prayer and I thank them!  And you may of been one of them, I pray you celebrate this whole Megillah with me! 
This is my entire immediate family.  ( only 3 missing)  



The Party was to celebrate the 50th Wedding Anniversary of my parents.  50 years.  50 years of marriage.  50 years of survival.  50 years of tears, frustrations, and many many blessings.  I can only speak from my perspective -- but, indeed, I feel blessed to be a part of this family and I am trusting my Lord that it will continue in heaven one day! 

P - parties ....  Well, the obvious anniversary party was a party celebrated  at the end of the 10 days I spent  in  Wisconsin.  But we had dance parties with nieces,  laughing parties as my sisters and I tried to make sense of a task that we had undertaken, and parties within the van as we'd make a quick run to McDonald's to get a Diet Coke at the end of a long day at task.

 My parents are both 70 years old, until my dad turns 71 next week.  Mom was just 70 last week.  I went home a week early with my sister Jeanette so that we could help them organize their house, clean, and kind of check up on them.  After many years of living at home -- I was known as the 'pitcher'.  Nothing gets saved.  I would sweep the floor as a young girl and literally scream, "mom, you better come as ALL of this is going in the garbage".  And she would quickly run over and pull out some socks, a piece of a toy, pennies, and anything of any value -- as I was going to throw it all away.  My sisters and I wanted to help them organize 20+ years of stuff that had accumulated in their basement and  try and begin a list for the 'boys' to begin.  As the 5 of them ( my brothers, yes I have 5)  all have talents in carpentry and my parent's  older home...needs some improvements.  But anyway - we accomplished a big task.  And we partied each night as we went home to my sister's house and marveled at what we would do the next day.
organized and done!


U - Unknowns.    As I said, and with all respect to my folks ....they are now approaching their golden years and they are set in their ways and we did not want to hurt or tell them what to do.  However, we all knew that my mom was a bit overwhelmed with the clutter within the house and we wanted to make their lives easier.  I can't tell you how much THIS was an UNKNOWN.  I pray now my mom won't be too upset with me, as I share the photo of me on the floor as I had emptied out several cupboards of Tupperware and Rubber Maid storage stuff...that needed to be put to rest.  There are only 2 of them now, she is not saving/storing  food for a family of 9 and can get by with only a small stash of Tupperware and storage stuff.    However, we did tackle her kitchen when she was gone to work.  We invaded.   It was like a HOME Improvement TV show.  She left.  We started.  We tried our best to finish by the time she was home.  However, we needed her help to  place dishes in  a more convenient spot and we did.  We did allow most of that Tupperware  -- to go to heaven.   We recycled what we could, but much was mismatched and without covers and/or  damaged ....after MANY years of use -- well, did you know Tupperware burns?   It does!    And so, as I said -- Unknowns.  Mom was pleased.  Dad was more pleased.  However after we headed back to my sister's each night...mom would text one of us and ask..."where is this or that?".......Between the three of us, we could usually tell her where "its" new place was. 
Many times, we would say, "now Mom...you don't need that!".  But we said it with a SMILE!   God used the 3 of us - in such a mighty way -- but yes...I made her cry the most -- and I apologized! 

 I had other unknowns.  We were planning for food and asked people to RSVP.  However, when I was preparing to fly home on the 20th of June...I had only 32 RSVP's...by mid week, 132 and by  the day before the event , we were  at 192.  Do people not RSVP two weeks prior?    ( No, I myself can't even manage that!)    Many forgot..Many  did not read about the RSVP and I  have to remind myself, the majority of the people invited were...um.... celebrating their own 50th or 40th or so.  However, I will re-look at an invite in the future from now on!! 

 Unknowns.  One brother  got a call that 40 were coming from  so and so and "we MUST not run out of food" and thus began the debates of "well, if we run out of food we run out"....and "no, you can't run out - that will be terrible".    Then the debates of cans of soda or liters?  My oh My....  I played my "oldest" card several times and I prayed even more - LORD  - YOU can't let me down..... and you know what?  HE did not.  It was perfect.  It really was.  We had enough food.   God knew.  I give HIM all the credit.  

  I want to share personally, the biggest unknown was not knowing  how  spending a week with my parents in kind of a stress full atmosphere would transpire and you know what ??  It was a beautiful offering and gift to our folks.  I had not done that -- since I was 18 years old.  I moved home one summer while in college and that lasted 2 weeks.  Since then ...my 29+ years have been in a home where I called the shots  -- or tired to.  You know the saying, "it is hard to go home".   ( It is not hard, but you realize....that is no longer your home.)   And  not to  discredit the baby  sister...she eventually showed up.  ( She has a young family, traveled from Nebraska, and is pregnant- so we cut her some slack.  But she actually stayed behind a few days and helped Mom organize several more cupboards and her closet!!)  And the 4 of us -- the 4 of us with help from several brothers -- got that house organized and safe for them.  It was a God thing how HE used EACH of us in different ways. 
Organized and easy accessed! 

R - Resources  --
The dumpster and Menards.  Thank goodness, the Lord has allowed me to move 4x in the past 4 years...and so, I have an idea on  the 'fastest' way  to organize/pack  with some fast helps and hints.  I think I amazed both my sisters ....that kind of makes me feel good.  LOL.    And thank goodness I have brothers with connections --that we were able to secure a dumpster pretty quickly and we filled it -- within a few days.
 My brothers were great resources -- several of them helped in a big way -- I have one that organized the costs,   a bright spot in the planning,  and he was the first one at the picnic area to set up on our party day.  One that saved the day and brought us pizza at 10 pm one night when we worked through supper.  One that entertained me with constant text messages - reminding me of our childhood and make me laugh daily.   Another that makes us laugh ....and another that -- entertained my children when they arrived  as we were not quite  finished with our task.   And another that came to help and spent a good 3 hours on a raining day carrying out old furniture to the burn pile and such!   Oh and the one that lifted my spirits!   Each day we would say, "Ok, we are done!"   But both my parents got into the spirit of pitching stuff that was NO longer needed and ....well, we would tackle another room or storage shed, and  we crawled into bed ( or onto my sister's couch)  each night  tired and exhausted; but as we would return to my folks'  house, each day we knew...we were giving them a gift of love that could not be priced out.

 As children...they both were our resources.  We relied on them.  They provided and taught us many lessons and we now...can repay them....and we wanted too.   My brothers have been doing this for years - fixing this and helping with that and I have one brother that gets the text messages in the middle of the night to "go and feed the dog"; but Jeanette and I have lived in Florida for over 20 years and we have not been there to help in the little things.  So, this week, was our way of pitching in.  We only wish we could of done more -- for that I mean,  I think I may ask God if I can start playing the LOTTERY as I need some BIG cash fast.  LOL.  ( Just major projects ...cost, but...I know, one project at a time!)   We are all very thankful and grateful for our parents -- though not perfect ( no parents are ) ...they are the ones GOD chose for us and as you can see in the photos ...they did not do too bad - in spite of the hardships. 
This is the 'baby'....she helped too! 
  I - Ironies.
I think the biggest irony is that circle of life 360 or turnaround...or that notion that the  ones who taught you to speak and taught you  morals and values by raising you -- (to now be an adult) are now the ones receiving the teaching.  And the ... laughing...having fun....and being adults.  It was irony to me. And listening to my siblings as adults discipline their kids and just interact with my folks as adults...irony! 

As a little one, I would watch TV and WANT those types of families ...but ours was not that way.

 In Church, I would watch a few large  families enter church and   one  family  of 10  in particular come into church and all sit and look perfect ...and we would barely make it on time and we could never all make it - Dad would leave one,  a late one,  home alone....and mom was usually the one left behind with that child.
 And yet, I would not trade any of those memories, hurts, or fun times...as it made us all - what we are today.  And I am claiming us all -- HIS.
In the planning, the organizing/work  week,  and  in the fun, there were tears, opinions expressed...some opinions  thrown under the bus and some mild cussing....but, in the end - we all came together  and pulled off a very sweet anniversary celebration that pleased my folks.  And, it was to me -- a tremendous blessing and a wonderful time spent.  Wonderful!  God wins!

 M - Moments-  And the moments were every day.  The following are a few shots from our Friday pot luck at my folks' place.  HP and TP had joined us and we initiated a new one to the Peirick bunch....Jake did pretty well!   ( Jake belongs to TP )  And in this photo - Taylor is holding the 'youngest' grand kid...at the present  moment - as there are 2 more on the way!  This is Ellie Jo!  

Another moment - when we sang  HAPPY Birthday to both my Mom and Dad and to hear the grand kids chanting - "we want Grandpa , We want Grandpa". ( Where was he?  He was making sure his kittens were taken care of....)

Watching the younger grands enjoy the organized play room now in the basement of my parents house ..... brings back memories of always going to my Grandma's and playing in the famous PLAY room.... traditions.  Moments - precious to me! 

Moments -- tense moments - yes.... when the furniture was cleaned and rearranged ...  um...nope -- you DO not do that.  You clean but don't rearrange.   There is a reason why that piece of furniture was there!   

Moments -- tense moments when one sister wanted to upgrade the living room without curtains and my Dad was SET on having curtains.  There was a phrase that each of us would use often .."pick your battles".  Dad won that battle!  I marvel at how, the Holy Spirit orchestrated every one  of those  tense moments into HIS glory and peace.  That alone is a reason to celebrate.  It is one thing to speak  about Jesus, but we must act like HIM too. 
 Moments -- I got away for a day and a half to visit friends in Wautoma.  My son did not want to join us, so he stayed behind and ended up being the errand boy at the house for my sister's who were working with out me.  He is "gold" now in his Grandparents' eyes and he did not mind helping...but I did get a plea..a text right before lunch on his work day.."mumzie, get me OUT of here..."  LOL   He is 20... cleaning and taking trips to the burn pile is not his way of spending a day -- but I thanked him for his sweet help -- don't worry, he did not have it too bad!  

Moments -- of prayer, when something was thrown away and it was not junk.... my heavenly Father smoothed it over! I made a list and owe my folks picture wire...a battery charger... and well, a few more things! 

Moments -- of prayer, when an act or something said would trigger a memory that brought tears ..... we missed Blake this week -- Both JJ and I would comment on how he would be this week and what he would be doing.  As I said, tears --  I know he is perfected with our Lord in heaven, but we saw several  of his mannerisms in another and it warmed out hearts -- Oliver, you are a gem! 
In reading this over and trying to edit perfectly...I think the best resource was -- ourselves -- the 9 of us and our siblings - really pulled it all together and I may of been shouting ( loudly speaking-texting)   the orders -- but,  my resource was the Holy Spirit,  leading and making EVERY decision of mine -- from the cost to share, to the table coverings...to the menu --  thank you Lord for ALL of YOUR help.   And I do thank all of my family -- as I asked for their help, their opinions and I counted on their ability to complete a task  -- there is no slackers in  this family -- I needed EACH of them! It was very evident if you were able to see the Fireman's Picnic  area from 10-2pm before the party and from 6-7:30 after the party!   We rock! 


 Moments - in spite of many memories that are not so sweet ...
 - in spite of  memories that brought tears ....
- there are SO many more moments of love...trust... smiles...and happiness-
- there are very healthy grand kids and  a great -grandchild
- there are healthy marriages and spouses that would give their lives to help another --
- and there are 9 children whom are VERY grateful for these two --
 - they taught us HOW to work
- they taught us HOW to be generous
- they taught us HOW to socialize the RIGHT way -- by talking and listening
-they ALWAYS helped their neighbors and DID  their best --
They indeed -- are parents we are proud of.  And as they grow older, we are claiming that the Lord will bring beauty to every moment from here on out! 
   This photo warms my heart.  All of us were together in 2009 -- that was the last time we had a family photo -- and so, we were trying to be silly and if you look close, both my folks are smiling.

PURIM is a celebration of deliverance.  We celebrated -- a deliverance ...we MADE  it 50 years and I pray that their next 50 is even better -- as I said, I am claiming a BIG polka party in the sky - heaven with Grandpa playing the concertina!   
 Moments -- when a cousin came up to me and congratulated me on  the engagement of my daughter..."really, that is news to me!".... We laughed, but when two others came and told me the same revelation ...I was ready to ask  my Dad if he had the Gift of Prophesy?

I teased Jake and Taylor,  and Taylor stated that my dad had begun to do that at the dairy breakfast earlier that day....and bravely -- Jake liked the idea! 

We  LOVE him like he is an honorary Peirick...he ( Jake ) passed the test of  tests.  My  brother DJ walked up to him and stated, "my name is Uncle DJ and I can kick your A__".  And well, they shook hands and hugged.  My brothers were pleased! You have to understand that TP was the first grand-daughter to appear on the scene and many of my siblings were only teens...so she is sort of like an honorary sibling to a few of them!  

 See the Smile???  See the smiles?   I won't share with you WHAT we are joking about, but I am quite sure that  if anyone in heaven was watching - they were laughing too!

Actually I will share.  When my little sister was 13 we had a family photo shoot.  Hunter was only 2 and Taylor was 6....it was VERY hard to get a family photo done and Dad was not even in it --  he probably had to milk cows.  So, l,  at the end of the shoot,  suggested  one  photo with the 9 of us.   Only us siblings and I insisted on a SILLY photo.!!  ( Yep, even before silly photos were popular.....I am a genius...LOL! - only kidding!)   But, I never got the photo.  A few years later on a visit to Wisconsin, I found it in a frame on my mom's counter..... needless to say we have laughed about that, but I have that photo and in that photo, as I said, my little sister was 13.  While doing that photo,  as we got silly, my brother ( DJ) made a motion to highlight a certain body part - of which, a 13 year old....was embarrassed and did not appreciate the motion.  But we all laughed.

 In 2009, we set up the same photo opportunity- and now she was 24 and a bit more developed and of course -- we had a great laugh. She would not allow DJ to make any innuendo.   Can you tell?   So, instead, he grabbed her throat!  But what you can't see is the 'baby' making a motion towards my middle sister and now she was NOT pleased!    I will share the photo below.  So this year... with our spouses...we tried to be silly and tasteful and of course -- now Trevor had to be the very silly one. What the camera caught was several different comments.    My hand is on my sister's belly and we laughed!   Moments! 

Here is the photo from 2009 -- !
 
Lord, bless EACH and every one of my brothers and their wives...and bless each and every one of my sisters and their husbands -- may they always SEEK YOU, In Jesus name!
 Moments ....we did not need table decorations, in our organizing and such, MOM had 3 tubs of pictures in frames of 25 plus years of grand kids...these made the PERFECT table decorations!

Moments.... representing their lives... farming and ...family! 
Moments -- painting.  My mom paints as well as does many other crafts and talents and you can see a framed canvas of her work. 

Moments -- if you look closely, you can see an old black and white photo of my parent's original farm house and farm.  Irony?  My dad now milks cows every morning on that farm - the new owners are very dear to him and he now milks in a milking parlor and the farm house they built is still there.   So, he gets fresh milk each day for his egg nog -- life is good!  

 Moments -- fun and tears...when the cousins all get together there is nothing but fun, but usually a few incidents between the girls and the boys ....and Auntie Chell is known to be a meanie...and or the one who bribes with gum!   But don't tickle one of those boys or you will get a surprise!  

This smile from Ella -- is simply priceless, as this photo reminds me of WHAT is important -- our LOVE for HIM...and our eternal home.  Every time I saw her - it was with the biggest smile, so full of life!   I am very thankful for my middle brother and his family - as his family and his extended family is a true picture of God's mercy and grace and provision -- in sickness and in health.  

We can organize the outside and make it all perfect...but if the inside is not .... self-less and seeking our Savior - it is all for nothing.  I love this pure smile -- she is indeed HIS favorite!  As all of HIS children are HIS favorite.  I know that HE wants this for every person here on this earth! 

 And this photo of my son -- getting his pork  sandwich on-- is indeed pure joy too.  I asked all of the older boys within each family to help serve food and such...as they had a job to do!  It was such a blessing to watch them all work and goof around.     I don't think I ever ate that day -- but, as I greeted and welcomed and thanked the people that came to share this day with my folks....I was so proud of my own kids... and my siblings and their wives -- I truly wish now we had it video taped...as I want to just relive this priceless day and just thank God over and over for EACH and every little answer to prayer and situation.... God won! 

Devon is DJ's oldest.  Dayton is Chris' oldest and you can't see but Tanner and Bryce were there on line too -- the older boys of both Trevor and Nathan.  Aaron's oldest is protecting us as a Marine on the West Coast! 


I love you Mom and Dad - thank you for instilling in me a love for God.  And thank you for allowing us to 'upset' the house for a week -- and I pray that as you begin to just enjoy the newly created spaces...that there will be a peace that just overflows each of you.  I pray strength for each of you -- and an understanding that comes only from Jesus -- and I pray that as you seek Him..( Dad, like Jeanette says - read that Jesus Calling every day - only one page...5 minutes ) and Mom....as you open His Word -- that you each will just enjoy these later years and marvel at this wonderful anniversary gift.  You are RIGHT mom...the MOMENT when two had a civil conversation -- was indeed God orchestrated and...a beginning - we agree -- NOW that in itself is a miracle.  I love  you MOM - sorry for hurting your feelings more than once through out that week -- but...I know that I know, YOU are indeed dearly loved -- by all of us, especially me.  I pray you enjoyed this post.  And I pray you will seek the book of Ruth and read the whole Megillah of her life too -- Michelle
aka - Chelly
aka  - chell
aka -   your first
aka - your favorite -- Just kidding - -YOU KNOW I have to say that - Jeanette is reading this too!  LOL

Just a view of the spread.........

Sisters in love...Tiffany and Marcie and my sister - Diandra
 "No, the MONSTER cookies are MINE!"

A BIG thank you to some of my Aunts who brought extra desserts -- the peanut butter bars were Bryce's favorite as well as mine and Aunt Lori's ( or Grandma's ) Monster Cookies were literally coveted. Rita, the cookies were also coveted by the grands...thank you!    We did not put them out with the other desserts...we ate them behind the counter.  I did get ONE!  


"THIS is good watermelon!"  I wish I had the time and space to share the many SILLY photos between both Taylor and Jordan and several others behind the counter.  I loved looked at them, as I was busy on the outside of the hall area -- seeing friends , family, and neighbors that I have not seen in ages and God blessed me with a sweet classmate that joined me - Leah - your visit was indeed the cherry on the top of the Sunday!!   Thank you for coming all that way to see me!  ---and the rest of my family!! 
Taylor and Jordan, a few of the older grand kids I made work ...with name tag distribution ...and my brother DJ. 






  If you read this all -- I commend you -- Thank you for taking the time to share in my PURIM.
I pray this blessed you.  If you are in a situation where you don't believe God is fighting for you -- HE is - SEEK HIM.   If you have a family that is torn, shattered, and scattered -- begin to pray and believe that GOD will and can restore it...speak it out, believe it and begin a prayer conversation with Your Lord -- HE will answer.   I truly am a walking testimony of HIS provision...HIS love...and HIS grace.  Life in this world is hard...but it is wonderful with HIM.   People may think I am crazy and perhaps my zealous attitude to give God the credit does seem to make a few uncomfortable at times, but I know that I know - I want to hear .."well, done my good and faithful servant".  And, I know what GOD can do.  I won't deny HIS power and I know that I am one of the biggest sinners who constantly has to seek HIS mercy and grace -- and I know how important it is to be filled with HIM.    I am so very blessed.  This event that I prayed for and stressed about for a bit -- was indeed a highlight or mile marker within my life -- HIS glory - HE gets the ultimate credit and I am so humbled. 


I did have a day and a half of motorcycle riding as well -- pure peace and fun.  Thank you DJ for planning a perfect ride in  a part of Wisconsin I had not been too -- my home state is indeed very pretty....and it has perfect temperatures ..in the summer!    
I plan to make sure, it does not take 50 years to get many of us together again -- In Jesus name, amen.

-Michelle - humbled and so grateful to HIM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!