Tuesday, April 3, 2012

a great reminder....to knock...knock....

I had to copy and paste this today from Sharon Jaynes and the Girlfriends in God site. 

"Indeed, none of those who wait for YOU will be ashamed". 

One of the important lessons I learned  in the past two years is that, God answers and I hear HIM, but I usually never waited to really hear ALL of HIS voice or ALL of HIS word for me. 

This devotional really hit me today and  I could tell her she wrote it for me.  However, I am sure she wrote it for herself and others, and I bet the Holy Spirit is promting many hearts that read it.  Could this be written for you too? 

READ ON: 

April 3, 2012



Knock. Knock. Is Anybody There? Part 1


Sharon Jaynes


Today’s Truth


Indeed, none of those who wait for You will be ashamed;” (Psalm 25:3).


Friend to Friend


Little feet. I heard them clomping across the linoleum kitchen floor and padding up the carpeted stairs…and I knew they were not my son’s. I poked my head out of my sewing room and there he stood. Three-and-a-half feet of pure mischief – my neighbor Philip.


“Philip,” I scolded, “you can’t just walk into our house like that.”


“Why not?” he asked with balled fists on his determined hips.


“Because this isn’t your house. You have to knock on the door first.”


“OK,” he said. “But is Steven home?”


Philip lived across the street from us in a bustling family of 7 homeschooled kids and 2 dogs. He was a stocky fellow with close cropped blond hair and a gruff voice that belonged more on a seasoned smoker than a four-year-old kid. He often wandered over to our house to ask my son, Steven, to come out and play. Steven was eight years older than Philip, but occasionally “shot hoops” with his pint-sized admirer.


I adored Philip, but he had to learn not to walk into other people’s houses at will. We had our little chat about knocking first, and then I sent him on his way.


The next day, I was working in my sewing room again when I heard a small but determined knock at the backdoor. I was in the middle of a seam and didn’t answer it. I knew who it was. Ah, I thought. He learned his lesson well.


No sooner had that thought entered my mind, I heard the door open and close, followed by the familiar squeak of little-boy tennis shoes moving through the kitchen and up the stairs.


“Philip,” I called, “I thought I told you to knock.”


“I did,” he yelled back. “You didn’t come so I came on in.”


Philip and I had another chat.


Thinking back on this incident with my tow-headed, pint-sized friend reminds me of how some people approach prayer. They knock. It seems we don’t have a problem with that part. It is what comes after the knock that trips us up.


God tells us to pray. He tells us to knock. “Ask, and it will be given to you;” Jesus said. “Seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened,” (Matthew 7:7-8 NASB). But what comes after the knock?


God also tells us to wait for Him to answer the door…to answer the prayer… before moving forward. Unfortunately, many don’t want to wait. If God doesn’t answer right way, many take His silence as a “yes,” and plow right on ahead.  (this is the part that really hit me....I prayed for this one particular thing, and God did answer me clearly but as soon as I got the answer I wanted and it was confirmed true, I did not go back and listen or ask God to confirm it as it was a real major prayer...little did I know what was going to transpire next, but that is besides the point.  It was an illustration for me to see, that I must wait on HIM and seek HIM on all important decisions)


“Lord, should I date this man?” “Lord, should I marry this man?” “Lord, should I buy this house?” “Lord, should I look for another job?” Knock. Knock.


If God doesn’t answer the door right away, is that license to open the door, walk right through it and do what we want? Absolutely not.( I have to remind myelf that God has to be the one opening and shutting the doors)


David wrote: “Indeed, none of those who wait for You will be ashamed,” (Psalm 25:3). Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, For I wait for You,” (Psalm 25:21 NASB). Wait for the LORD; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD,” (Psalm 27:14 NIV).


We’ll look more at this subject of next time, but you’ll just have to waitJ


Let’s Pray


Heavenly Father, I wait patiently for You. Please show me any area of my life where I have not obeyed You fully. Then give me the courage and strength to do so.


In Jesus’ Name,


Amen.


Now It’s Your Turn


Have you ever prayed about a decision, not waited on God for the answer, and plowed ahead even though you felt unrest in your spirit?


What were the results?


Have you ever prayed about a decision, waited on God for the answer, and moved forward in total peace?


What were the results?


Regardless of the results of obedience, you can be assured that obedience always pleases God. He is more concerned with the process than the product.

Lord, thank you ....for teaching me to wait, and using your word to confirm.  YOU are lord.
Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!