Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The PIT test.

8 years ago, a movie was being promoted and I asked my husband if we could go and see it.   He postponed and delayed the date night but eventually appeased me and took me to the RAVE.  It was late September...2008. 

I would NEVER want to experience a movie like this again  -- sitting in the theater and knowing at that VERY instant, that something was indeed wrong.  I was sitting next to my husband, but it felt as if he was a total stranger  and he was sitting 50 yards away.    After the movie, we got into the car to come home and not one word was said.   And I knew -- help was needed.  

Long story short - God won.  

I never watched that movie again -- until about 3 years ago.  Even as I sat and watched it -- again,  with my husband, it triggered many feelings and emotions that were a part of 8 years ago.  

 We were in a PIT.  I was in a PIT.  


Everyone has a dream - everyone has a destiny.  Many don't fulfill that destiny cause they don't have the character to fulfill it.  

Joseph ( In Genesis 37) had a dream at the age of 17, he began to step into his destiny at 30 years of age and it was not fulfilled until he was 41. 

I had a dream -- a marriage that would be perfect -- God used my dream ...to fulfill  a destiny. 

Back to Joseph. 

Genesis 37.  13-37
3 and Israel said to Joseph, “As you know, your brothers are grazing the flocks near Shechem. Come, I am going to send you to them.”
“Very well,” he replied.
14 So he said to him, “Go and see if all is well with your brothers and with the flocks, and bring word back to me.” Then he sent him off from the Valley of Hebron.
When Joseph arrived at Shechem, 15 a man found him wandering around in the fields and asked him, “What are you looking for?”
16 He replied, “I’m looking for my brothers. Can you tell me where they are grazing their flocks?”
17 “They have moved on from here,” the man answered. “I heard them say, ‘Let’s go to Dothan.’”
So Joseph went after his brothers and found them near Dothan. 18 But they saw him in the distance, and before he reached them, they plotted to kill him.

19 “Here comes that dreamer!” they said to each other. 20 Come now, let’s kill him and throw him into one of these cisterns and say that a ferocious animal devoured him. Then we’ll see what comes of his dreams.”
21 When Reuben heard this, he tried to rescue him from their hands. “Let’s not take his life,” he said. 22 “Don’t shed any blood. Throw him into this cistern here in the wilderness, but don’t lay a hand on him.” Reuben said this to rescue him from them and take him back to his father.
23 So when Joseph came to his brothers, they stripped him of his robe—the ornate robe he was wearing— 24 and they took him and threw him into the cistern. The cistern was empty; there was no water in it.
25 As they sat down to eat their meal, they looked up and saw a caravan of Ishmaelites coming from Gilead. Their camels were loaded with spices, balm and myrrh, and they were on their way to take them down to Egypt.
26 Judah said to his brothers, “What will we gain if we kill our brother and cover up his blood? 27 Come, let’s sell him to the Ishmaelites and not lay our hands on him; after all, he is our brother, our own flesh and blood.” His brothers agreed.


Have you been thrown into a PIT?  

1.  What is the POSITION of the PIT?   
- Did you do anything to bring this upon yourself?  
- There is NO condemnation for those in Christ Jesus...but SEARCH me OH God and create a clean heart in me!  

Joseph was certainly thrown into a PIT.  Was it his fault?  Did he mean to brag to his brothers about his dream?   
 - Who can you blame for your PIT?   

Joseph had his Father's Favor -- he had been given a coat of many colors.  Joseph was given a gift, but perhaps he was proud and bragged about it?  

Pride -- there is that word again.  

How many of us display our gifts -- gifts we probably did not earn -- in pride? 

Joseph's pride got him in trouble.  
Our pride gets us in trouble.  

It can place us in a PIT.  

2. The PERSPECTIVE of the PIT.  

Ok, s o Joseph was thrown into the pit.   I  felt,   I had  been thrown into a pit -- but let's look at God's perspective.  
God never condemns ...Satan condemns.   God through His Holy Spirit - convicts.  Conviction is real and should be felt.  

Keep God's perspective as you are in that PIT.  

Satan is SUCH a liar - he will convince you that "you were never loved". 
Satan will convince you that - "he would be better off with the other woman".
Satan will convince you  - "you can't remain clean, free from addiction". 
Satan will convince you - "numbing the pain is the only way it will get better".
Satan will convince you - "church is not for you ".
Satan will convince you - "you are better than others". 
Satan will convince you  - "you are not called to a higher purpose, you are just mediocre". 

Satan convinced Jacob that his son was torn apart by beasts...read the story.  His sons never told Jacob,  that Joseph was eaten...Jacob assumed it -- because Satan is such a good liar.  

What is Satan telling you ?   

3.  The PURPOSE of the PIT.  

What is the purpose -- to GET you to cry out to HIM!!  
We have been -- probably many times, in small pits but WE got our selves out and felt we could fix whatever....

So sometimes, God allows a BIG PIT test...to that - we CRY out to HIM!  

 Jonah 2. 2-6
 
In my distress I called to the Lord,
    and he answered me.

From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help,
    and you listened to my cry.
You hurled me into the depths,
    into the very heart of the seas,
    and the currents swirled about me;
all your waves and breakers
    swept over me.
I said, ‘I have been banished
    from your sight;
yet I will look again
    toward your holy temple.’
The engulfing waters threatened me,[b]
    the deep surrounded me;
    seaweed was wrapped around my head.
To the roots of the mountains I sank down;
    the earth beneath barred me in forever.
But you, Lord my God,
    brought my life up from the pit.


We must CRY out to HIM!  



So, tonight -- are you in a PIT?   
I have been there.   Even this summer, I felt that perhaps I was thrown in another -- but I have learned that the only way OUT it through HIM.  God will use whatever Satan throws at us -- and bring beauty from the ashes -- if we let HIM!  


Lord,  there is ONE reading this right now that feels like they have been thrown into a PIT and there is NO HOPE -- but there is HOPE and there is a way out -- speak to that one or several.  

Lord, for the ONE that has been able to escape the big PITS but has several smaller ones that have worn her out - may she just fall into your arms and allow YOU to heal her.  

Lord, for the one that placed the ladder right into the PIT and lowered herself down INTO it...herself..may she seek you, and know that there is NO condemnation in Christ Jesus.... May she call upon the one who made her and believe.   May  the conviction from Holy Spirit indeed cause her to repent and turn from sin....but Lord, then lavish her and restore her.  In  Jesus name.  

Lord, God -- thank you for these reminders in these lessons.  Bless Pastor Robert Morris and his ministry for sharing and providing these messages that not only teach me but confirm for me WHAT I see in Your Word.   May Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven!  
 
Amen. 


PS... as a bit of encouragement -- please continue to do what God has asked you to do -- I promise YOUR obedience will bring rewards.   Tomorrow -- could be the miracle you have been waiting for!   God knows.  
 The pretty little girl to the right.... THIS is God's reminder to me, that HE answers prayer.   I will blog about her soon!  
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!