Monday, June 6, 2011

This young man is 16 today. 16 years ago, I was sitting, no laying in a hospital bed worried. Hunter was born 'blue' and I had not had the chance to see or hold him. I had gotten up out of bed, and was able to hobble to the nursery to watch Taylor look at him for the first time. She had NOT sucked her thumb in years .. and she did that night and a few weeks after that .. well, not really sucked it, more like chewed it. She took her anxiety, and relieved it by chewing. I did not realize that at the time .. . but, later chewing her nails would be something we would see here and there when she was anxious. But . .this is about HELP .

Hunter Edwin Lowell Pritchard

He was born blue and needed extra oxygen and the next day was taken by ambulance to St. Mary's were he got the nic name - "whimpy white boy". Now, it seems like just a bad dream but that 2nd night of his life, knowing he was there and I was not -- was one of the most hardest nights of my life. Since then, I have had a few more hard nights -- but, when a mother can't see her newborn and hold him . . . ... .. . .the world becomes very hard.

He needed a few extra days and got the label RDD Respirtory Distress Disorder . .I got a few stories from others, how they used to call these babies 'blue babies' .. basically their little hearts would pump and pump but their lungs just did not take in the oxygen, therefore their blood did not get the oxygen. I remember becoming an expert on Co2 levels and heartrates, and then the % of oxygen that was in the blood . . . ..seems like most of those memories have passed. Anyway, many prayers went out and were answered. He came home a week later, not the 10 days they prepared us for.

I had -- well, we had already picked out the name Hunter Edwin and added Lowell . .little did we know he would need some literal help as a child!!

But don't we all? Need a little HELP?

I do - anyway, Happy Birthday to my 'man' who came to me last night and asked me to check how much 'fuzz' was on his face. He is a hairy beast!!

Happy birthday to my 'boy' .. who used to crawl up on my lap and seek me out for hugs and loving .. . now I have to ask.

Happy birthday to my 'boy' ... who was potty trained in the grass and still is found doing 'that' here and there.

Happy birthday to my 'boy' .. .who would make up words and use them and then make us new words ...and still does.

Happy birthday to my 'boy' who couldn't stand broccoli and now goes for sushi? Raw fish? Really?

Happy birthday to my 'boy' who loved and still loves his buddy Diego.

Happy b irthday to my 'boy' who wanted a truck so I found one for him - it cost me $2.97.

Happy birthday to my 'boy' who will soon be a man . . . too soon.

Lord, bless him, keep him. May he seek the plans YOU have for him. May he look to YOU for everything and may he love you more than he ever loves me or anyone else -- as YOU Lord, have given this 'boy' to me. I pray and say, "he is yours".

Amen.

Happy Birthday HP -- I know you hate that -- label - but, hey -- I am your mom. I 'brought you into this world . .I can take you out' . .ha ha ha hah

I love you Hunter.

I love you -- ter ter man!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!