Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Faith over Feelings Prayer/Post Day #3 Our past.

So, today I walked over 6 miles.  I am on an adventure in Washington DC.  I had the privilege to visit Mt. Vernon in Virginia which is the estate of General George Washington.  Today I learned they referenced him as "General" as he didn't want to be called Mr. President once he was out of office.  

I walked his grounds, saw beautiful gardens and majestic farmland. I heard stories of how his brother renamed the estate after a British Naval Officer that he adored and when George inherited the estate, he could of renamed it back to Mt. Washington, as it had been in his family for generations, and yet he left it - Mt. Vernon.  Which to the shock of  historians,  was an oxymoron as the estate was named after a British  Naval Officer and we had indeed fought the British in the Revolutionary War and won! 

I also saw his 'fancy' teeth and learned how they made the outside of the mansion appear to be made of sandstone. I saw the bold colors of the guest rooms that Washington picked out himself.  And, I looked out a mirror that George himself looked into as he adjusted his tie before walking out onto his porch in the evening.   Quite interesting for a teacher of upper elementary students and the wife of an American History teacher.   There were many stories.  Many.  

Fascinating.  

I also  learned of how Mt. Vernon came to be a National Treasure and who began a national campaign to raise the funds to purchase Mt. Vernon from it owners, the descendants of the Custis family as George didn't have any direct heirs- only grandchildren of his wife - Martha.   He was apparently sterile from contracting small pox when he was a younger man.  And, I got whisked away with history that was indeed heartbreaking and ground breaking.  

There was a  great deal of  'perfection'  to preserve the past.  There was a lot of expense to preserve the past.  Historians and archaeologists have worked and worked to make this place a true picture of what Mt. Vernon was.  Many of the guides reminded us that if George were to walk on the grounds today - he would approve as it was pretty much like he left it in 1799.  


I thought about that over and over again.  I am most thankful for those that saw the future and knew to purchase the property so it could be something our Nation could be proud of.  I am also thankful for those historians that learn and teach us - as indeed, the past is important.  

We learn from it.  We need to know of our history so we don't make the same mistakes in the future but so that we also can move forward and grow.  


I thought about the blog today and my prayer for today -- Day #3.... it is important to know where we came from.  

Bottom line - we are all born sinners.  
I believe God's Word and  by His Word -- it says, that I deserved death.  
 Adam sinned. Man sinned.
We are born with a sin nature -- 

This can cause a lot of debate as 'how' can a baby be born with sin?  

THAT and THOSE answers can be for another blog, but today I thought of my past. 

My past -- did help create the person I am today. 

It formed my destiny -- and yet, it also is something that DOES not limit me,  I mean - my past does not define who I am NOW -- a daughter of the most high God-- a friend of Jesus, and my confidant is Holy Spirit.  

I am WHO God says I am.  
I know Jesus went to that Cross for me and for my entrance into heaven through the Savior.  
My past won't hold me back nor detain me....as my past is the past and it is redeemed through the blood of Jesus. 


  

Today, if you are feeling like You don't belong or that God can't possible use your past for His glory and Your future -- I am here to share - God does and God can.   God wants to.  

Very simply put -- 

Lord, for the one reading this tonight - may they check their heart and ask....am I saved?  Lord, have I confessed and repented for my past?  Lord, have you washed me -- clean, through your blood?    

Lord, these are important questions and if the reader is unsure, I pray she or he will seek out some counsel tomorrow -- tomorrow Independence Day -- may they feel the dependence UPON You and may that independently know that they know -- their past is covered and their future is intact with YOU -- IN Jesus Name, Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!