Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Prayers for a marriage # 16 - Covering stuff up - updated.


   A memory from over a year ago -- when Taylor started her teaching career --  at OHS.  I will repost the blog, but I updated the prayer.  I am praying now -as if YOU -- reading this...can pray for Your marriage and/or pray for another close to you.  So pronouns have been changed and updated.   However I felt the original story and how the Holy Spirit led me to pay on this day back in January of 2013.... well -- read for yourself.   

                                         *      *     *     *      *   

Taylor and I were talking today --at her new classroom-- as she was putting up POWER words and I was creating a MAP wall.  On her west wall, there  was a blackboard  that had  been taken down and it was never painted  underneath so all you see was four different colors of old paint and then some major BROWN gunk to fill in the holes in the concrete.   So, in all TRUE teacher fashion - we had to HIDE the wall with something and COVER it up.   In cleaning out some of her newly acquired book cases and cupboards, I came across a box of old maps and an old Reader's Digest Atlas.

 Anyway - let the FUN begin!

I covered that wall all right - I am a pro -- been teaching for 26 years now and I know how to cover a wall.  Lee Dixon once took a photo of my room and used it for FIRE safety training as to 'what NOT to have on your wall'...TOO much stuff that is!  LOL

I still love that he used my wall -- how did I know??  He shared the story with me but he had to delete that photo - my 'sunflowers' gave it away.  Too many people  recognized  my unique choice of wall coverings and it became a laughing point instead of a safty message.....needless to say, I have had to learn to try and restrict WHAT I place on my walls now -- as I don't wish to be a fire hazard!

But, as I spent almost 3 hours cutting, covering, and then taping a wall in old maps, I began to think about HOW much we cover up -- in our lives.

I have been thinking and watching -- others.  Married couples do a lot of 'covering'.  Maybe women DO more of the covering - hiding their pain -- or holding it in.

Maybe not.  Maybe it is really the men doing most of the 'covering' with a mask.

What do we cover up for our spouse or ourselves?
Do we have differences in moral principals?
Do we have opposing friendship choices?
Do we have different religious beliefs?

Is there anger, bitterness, or unforgiveness that we cover up?
Is there impatience or insensitivity being displayed?
Is there apathy that you cover up?  

I caught myself today.....thinking about another couple.  They are older.  We were never friends but through the insurance office, I learned a bit of their story.   I quickly judged him as it was always rumored that  he used to be a 'ladies man' -- but now I believe he is committed to his wife.   He  would always be at  church.   Why did she stay - did she ever know?    They never divorced.  They raised a family.  But still....I judged -- I thought and I wondered.  And why today did this couple come across my thought waves?       I believe it was the enemy -- trying just ANOTHER way to distract me.

THEN  I  felt the CHECK in my spirit and repented -- "what do people think about us?".

Covering - We covered SO much for so many years.

I quickly realized -again, HOW fast the enemy can sneak up on you - at it was not even an hour past church......seriously.    Tears flowed -- I would NOT want anyone to 'judge' me like that.  I want people to think of God's grace and mercy when  our names pop into their brains!

Praise GOD we fall under a God this evening -- today - HE  COVERED our sins.

Tonight's prayer is just for that -- covering..
  

                         *       *       *         *        *         *  

LORD GOD - I pray that if there is a 'bad' covering happening between my self and my spouse  - God uncover it -- reveal it - open the eyes of both us so that a healing can begin.  Lord God,  I pray that we will BOTH lay down our  lives -- and allow you to consume EVERY part  and we will be  covered by YOUR blood. 

 Lord I pray we  will fight to SEEK you and learn to forgive....


Lord God - for any couples I look at and judge....hold me accountable and remind me of my own sin -- 

 God I pray the  family and friends around me -- that the  marriages  I see around me  are healthy and sound -- that any   mistakes of the past  - are forgiven and I pray they now  have a RIGHT standing relationship with YOU.   And for the couples around me where I know You are not first and they are probably covering -- I pray that their eyes will open   for YOUR purpose ---- thank you Lord  for teaching me and gently reminding me ....
I am just but a 'forgiven' sinner. 

God, I am so thankful for Your covering.  

 Lord God for my husband and  I  -- hold us before you - God I pray that these prayers are  heard and answered...IN Jesus name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!