Saturday, August 30, 2014

Expecting #25 - Facebook / Social Media

Ok, here we go.

Facebook - social media - Snapchat - Linkin In - Instagram - text messaging - sexting - cyber bullying
etc. etc. etc. etc

I was challenged a month or so ago by a dear sweet sister in Christ that stated - to just spend AS much time in God's word  as you did on Facebook and then post it -- become accountable.  We can 'add up' all the time one spends on FB - as it posts time and dates -- can we post how long is spent reading God's Word?

The 'new messenger facebook app' ....I have seen about 4-5 video warnings on FB about not downloading it - whoops - too late.  Did it.

I have seen a few stake claim and declare they WOULD never allow Messenger to be on their phone and today I saw local news time on the TV reporting on it.

John 8.12 says:   " I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life".

Quite frankly -- I am over it.

I am not too worried about BIG Brother ...and being stalked on FB.  I am more 'worried' about people that continue to use FB as a way to disrespect their children, their spouses and their selves.  

FB like all the other social media things...are an escape mechanism -- to live and read about another and take your mind off your own life.

Like alcohol or pleasure drugs.... it is a way to escape and for many - it become their reality.

FB was instrumental in a person contacting me  -- and this person spoke life into me -- when I needed it. So...I will always be a bit partial to the application.

FB is a way for me to actually SEE what some of my family is up too - as we no longer call each week, send photos across the mail box, or even see each other as now -- their lives are so busy with their own children.

FB today blessed me - as my Aunt was able to post a video of my Grandma and my cousin and I got to be RIGHT there.

FB allows me to message a person privately -- and encourage them or get them a message -- thus 'messenger' application is NOT that bad.

And...quite frankly --   I am going to cover it in blood...NOTHING comes into my path that God has not already known about -- so,  I am going to pray that we - I am - protected.

I am claiming God's protection.  I don't see what the big deal is....

I am more worried about  what is happening oversees with  ISIS, human sex trafficking, and the fact that people are more consumed about being politically correct than being morally right.  

But I am NOT going to be stupid ....  you can change privacy settings very quickly -- You can make sure that ONLY your friends see your stuff and you can make sure that only the ones you want to read a post will see it.

I don't think FB is trying to control us - it is just another way -- to communicate and of course ...Satan can get into anything and mess it up.

As far as the Messenger app -- it seems to me that some should be more worried about what Jesus says in Chapters 14-16 of the book of John  or read the book of Galatians....  to me ...THAT is more of something to be concerned about.

And get this....you can delete or inactive your account...YOU do not have to be friends with a person that is driving you nuts.

It is what it is...

To me...it is just another way for people to put blame on something else...rather than themselves.

Maybe they ARE spending TOO much time on FB and it has become an Idol.
Maybe they post EACH and every emotion on their FB.... and after awhile ....we ignore -- kind of like the story of 'crying wolf'...

But maybe ...FB encourages you and teaches you something new.
Maybe FB blesses you because you get to catch up with a childhood classmate and laugh a few laughs.
And Maybe FB is one way another gets ahold of you -- and that person speaks into your life  -- and you know that you know -- what God has told you to do -- is being confirmed.

Just saying.

But it is not just FACEBOOK - what else is consuming your time?
...watching TMZ on the computer or TV
...watching several different soap operas each day or 'dramas' that are just soap operas at night
...watching a show that you must then find Season 1, 2 and you have to go to NETFLIX to find other past episodes
...spending time on the phone - with a friend - daily when other stuff needs to be done...
.....maybe being so obsessed with a certain football team that everything gets lost ...?

The list could go on --  and please -- I am speaking to MYSELF on this one.
Since my friend challenged me -- I have been paying attention as to how much time I am on FB compared to reading my bible ....and she was right - I was lopsided...

Changing that... Changed that!

I don't claim to know it all - I just know that the Holy Spirit wanted me to address FB and the issue of Social Media -- we must make sure it is NOT an idol and it does not dictate us.

If you are easily offened by a person's post - delete them - prayerfully.
Messenger is NOT that bad....seriously -- I reset my privacy settings and I am not being tracked - at the moment....

But even if I was or could be...don't you see ....this is must MORE of prophesy coming to life...
At the end of our God Encounter Weekend, the women gave a short testimony about WHAT God had done for them that weekend.

The Holy Spirit spoke to me and one lady shared her heart and afterwards -- I knew God had more to say to us through her...so I told her, "God has a word for us, and He is going to use you to share it!".

I knew that I knew HE would, HE was, and HE was going to use her.... having the Holy Spirit as my best friend - HE tells me stuff.  HE is trustworthy.


John 14:16The Message (MSG)The Spirit of Truth15-17 “If you love me, show it by doing what I’ve told you. I will talk to the Father, and he’ll provide you another Friend so that you will always have someone with you. This Friend is the Spirit of Truth. The godless world can’t take him in because it doesn’t have eyes to see him, doesn’t know what to look for. But you know him already because he has been staying with you, and will even be in you!


Later - she shared.   You see -- THAT is what the Holy Spirit does for us...for me...and that is not all.  There are more gifts from Him!   So,  She testified that she was unsure about the Word from God...but as she prayed, she clearly got 4 words...

With tears and with the greatest heartfelt and humbled emotion - she said - God gave her 4 words, "forgive, repent, praise, coming soon "  ...  We must forgive, repent and praise HIM for - HE is coming soon.

And so therefore, until God tells me to get off FB and not use Messenger...I will use it for HIS good - to get HIS word out....but...HIS word will be read more often...

And with that - I will always question myself and recheck - to make sure NOTHING becomes an idol !

And with that....  when we are so full of Christ and HIS word...and that becomes our priority -- we won't FEEL the need to post a status and get our needs or feelings stroked by FB...  as we will be whole and healthy...in HIM.


And then we can use FB for fun and silly stuff .... instead of tearing another apart on it...

IN Jesus name, Amen.


Lord, I am so thankful for the women and /or friends that are on my list....that continue to speak life, encourage and make me laugh -- may this blog prayer speak to the heart that needs to re-evaluate their FB usage and may it speak to the one who needs to be in  a church tomorrow -- seeking God's FACE through hugs and smiles of other believers...may they be filled with HIM - not social media.  IN Jesus' name...amen.  


 Galatians:  6: 14-16 For my part, I am going to boast about nothing but the Cross of our Master, Jesus Christ. Because of that Cross, I have been crucified in relation to the world, set free from the stifling atmosphere of pleasing others and fitting into the little patterns that they dictate. Can’t you see the central issue in all this? It is not what you and I do—submit to circumcision, reject circumcision. It is what God is doing, and he is creating something totally new, a free life! All who walk by this standard are the true Israel of God—his chosen people. Peace and mercy on them!
17 Quite frankly, I don’t want to be bothered anymore by these disputes. I have far more important things to do—the serious living of this faith. I bear in my body scars from my service to Jesus.
18 May what our Master Jesus Christ gives freely be deeply and personally yours, my friends. Oh, yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!