Sunday, September 7, 2014

Expecting #33 -- Heaven or Hell.

I heard an interesting perspective today on a piece of scripture.  
Luke 16. 19-31. 


The Rich Man and Lazarus

19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
So there are basically two kinds of people - rich and poor.   Or ...there are EXTREMELY RICH people and EXTREMELY poor people.  And some in between.   That rich man has lived in LUXURY - every day.  EXTREME wealth.  Provisions.  
22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. 
So  when we die....angles will carry us off - 

The rich man also died and was buried. 

It seems that some will just remain in the ground.....

23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.   

Now, here is a new perspective -- Is this a Parable?  jesus spoke in parables and always spoke in anonymity  meaning, there were no personal names and therefor, at the end of the parable, one could ask - "Lord is this me?  Who am I in this ? ".  

In this story - there are names.  Maybe this is not a parable but a story - told ONLY by Jesus - cause Jesus can tell the story.  

24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

So there is agony in hell.   There is fire.   The rich man can SEE heaven...and  he is in torment.  

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 
Guess what --?  For many people .....this time on EArth is as 'close to heaven' as  they will ever get ......

 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

Once in heaven - we are there to stay -- and once in hell -- there is no 2nd chance!  


27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’
So perhaps once in hell...part of the torment is to see and know that others may come there -- and therefore the rich man begged Abraham to send a warning to those still living on Earth  

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

Another reminder that God wants NO one to perish and that God has given us Moses and many prophets to share the news of jesus Christ.... and yet...still some won't listen.  

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’
31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”
These last two verses really opened my eyes ....  there will be people, that will see others  raised from the dead  - spiritual death...and even physical death -- Jesus...and yet, they still don't claim Christ as their Lord.  


I heard an interesting perspective today on a piece of scripture.  Luke 16. 19-31. 

Ps Tim was sharing God's word today.  I  sat in my seat and thanked God, as I had asked HIM this morning a question that was proposed to me.   Ps Tim reminded us that this was probably a real story  -- an illustration of heaven and hell.  It confirms that both places are real and that once there - there is no moving to the other.  

Jesus is the one that came to us (earth)  to set the captives free - HE came  to die for our sins so that we could be in heaven. 
 It is the Holy Spirits job to draw in God's  people and He convicts.  
God continues to draw us near - it is not "MY" responsible to save anyone.  

My job is to live with Christ in me and be 'jesus' to the ones around me. 
I had a woman ask me about her sons.  She is so concerned and worried about their beliefs and  worries that they won't be in heaven.  

So, I am sharing this because - I will trust that GOD has provided "Moses" to them and "prophets" too.  I know she took them to church  as they were young children .... and I believe that we can trust GOD to DRAW everyone and anyone to HIM.  

Now, we have free will.   Her boys have free will.  

But she has Christ within her and the authority to bind the enemy away from them.  So, as a mom, she can cover them in prayer.  

Therefore, to the one that asked:  

This would be the prayer I would say over and over until I had the assurance that they would be in heaven.   But first... I would recheck myself....and ask myself:  

"Do they see Jesus in me or do they hear me nag?"
"Do they see Jesus in me in my speech and greetings or do they hear me whine and complain?" 
"Do they see HIS light in me?  Am I sharing His love?" 
"Do they see Jesus in me...am I showing love - unconditionally?".  


And...then I would pray:  


Heavenly Father, you know my two sons and their families.  Lord, You know HOW much I love them and You know Lord that I would do anything for them.  Lord, their earthly Father let them down ...their Earthly Father let me down...but I am going to trust that he is with You and that  our sons will NOT follow in his path.  Lord, I will trust that YOU are the balm of Gilead and that Your plans for me are for good -- so therefore, you want to answer my cry.

 Lord, I trust that my sons are good men to their children, wives, and friends.   Lord, I will pray that they both have eyes that are open to  godly, spiritual things and I pray that there are people around them in their workplace and in their social lives that display Your Love and grace to them as well.

 Lord, forgive my shortcomings...I probably have not displayed  or shown a  happy love....one that would draw them in...but I need You to heal my hurts and I want that peace to shine within me.  I want my boys to see You in me Jesus...Holy Spirit, I can't do this on my own...my time is short...I want to enjoy my grandkids..I want to have a better relationship with my sons...and I know that I know ...You will answer my prayers.

 I thank you Lord, that soon, you will open their eyes, and I will see some of the fruit. I thank you Lord, that I have the authority to bind the enemy away from them...I pray and bind that spirit of addiction away -- it will NOT cause them to walk within their father's footsteps but I pray they will walk in YOUR footsteps Lord.  God, my heart is heavy...I will trust that you will honor my prayer as I place my trust in You and I will believe that my boys are Yours and that they will call you Abba Father...soon, In Jesus name. Amen.  

For the one that asked....YOUR prayers are mighty and powerful.  Continue to cover those boys in prayer, seek a prayer group for yourself and join a book club and seek to get closer to JEsus yourself.  Your sons are grown.... trust that God will honor Your prayers... and continue to speak life over them.   Don't allow the enemy to get you 'sour'...Don't allow the enemy to have any glory... as You pray each day, and ask God for an opening to speak to your sons ....God will soften their hearts and the 'little' things like just a visit or a phone call from them...will transpire.  Believe it.  

In the meantime.... get into a good bible study and focus on Jesus being the best friend you got....  God won't disappoint you!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!