Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Expecting #35 - PRIDE.....

This post was to be posted on Tuesday.
But my PRIDE got in the way......

LOL


Seriously....

Lord God - Your Word clearly warns us that pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.  Proverbs 16.18

My Faithful Father, You've warned me that when pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. Proverbs 11.2

Father, You are teaching me that pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.  Proverbs 13.10  Help me to discern the pride that is involved when I am quarrelsome.

FAther, You've said that to fear the Lord is to hate evil; You hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech.  Proverbs 8.13  Help me to have a healthy fear of You that abolishes pride and arrogance.

Lord, Your Word speaks of the wicked wearing pride as their necklace and clothing themselves with violence.  Psalm 73.6  You indicate a link between pride and violence.  Please cause my life to be void of both these evils.

Lord, according to Your Word, after Uzziah became powerful, his pride led to his downfall.  He was unfaithful to the Lord his God.  2 Chronicles 26.16  Please help me not allow pride to be my downfall.

Lord, Your Word says that Hezekiah repented of the pride of his heart, as did the people of Jerusalem: therefore the Lord's wrath did not come upon them during the days of Hezekiah.   2 Chronicles 32.26  Thank you for forgiving me when I repent of the pride of my heart.

Father, in Your Word, You define who is wise and understanding among us: The one who shows it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. James 3.13

O God, please help me to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.  Titus 3.2



Pride -- it was a word that was thrown around A LOT as a child.

  I would hear often,  "do you best - take PRIDE in your work"....

"Clean this or why is this not clean?"..."don't you take PRIDE in your work, your possessions?"

"Show some pride - take care of yourself".    Words that still can be heard within my head if I let them.

Words I have said to my students....taking pride in WHAT you are doing -- doing it your best.


Pride has TWO connotations...TWO major definitions and a few other shades of meaning:




pride

noun
[

p

1.
a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, orsuperiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed inbearing, conduct, etc.
2.
the state or feeling of being proud.
3.
a becoming or dignified sense of what is due to oneself or one'sposition or character; self-respect; self-esteem.
4.
pleasure or satisfaction taken in something done by or belonging tooneself or believed to reflect credit upon oneself:
civic pride.
5.
something that causes a person or persons to be proud:
His art collection was the pride of the family.
6.
the best of a group, class, society, etc.:
This bull is the pride of the herd.
7.
the most flourishing state or period:
in the pride of adulthood.



Pride has TWO connotations...
God, I pray that I walk quickly and steadfast..in the proper connotation of pride.  
I don't want to walk with a 'religious' pride....I want humility.  


I was prompted by the Holy Spirit through my husband.  He had a few wise words for me yesterday and we spoke about pride.  And therefore....   


The prayer  -- I pray I never become so prideful again ...like I was in my 'earlier' life...LOL
God...I pray to seek MERCY and walk humbly with You.  Reveal to me any pride that needs to be dealt with and I pray -- that  this 'thorn' that I know I struggle with ..... will be overcome!  
IN Jesus name..amen.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!