Thursday, September 11, 2014

Expecting #37 -- 911

911
September 11, 2001 - 13 years ago - I remember.
  I had walked my students to computer lab  ( specials)  and as I entered the classroom, the computer aide was in tears and on the phone,  so I listened and proceeded to get my students on task.  When she got off the phone, she said:  "Michelle, the world is coming to an end".

I looked at her as I checked on my students  at their computers  and I said, "well, if it is -- we know Jesus will keep us safe".    And I prayed for her son right then and there - as he was in the military!

   Then I walked around to make sure the students were on task, I suggested she turn her TV off and I left the room and prayed.  Prayed!    Prayed and prayed.

Next, I   walked into the school  office and looked at my Principal and he was  already in the process of getting the news and I suggested that we GUARD the TV in the classrooms.

And then,  I walked to the Library and sat with another teacher  ( ironically I have her grandson in my classroom this year )  and watched the Today show...as the 2nd Tower was struck.  Right there - then...in front of me.    And I called Brendan.   I remember that I did not 'receive' comfort from his words.  Funny -- no, it is not funny, now  that I think about it.  I remember praying and asking God - what next?   And now as I reflect  some 13 years later...  he too was probably in shock and seeking God.  We were both such BABIES in HIM at that time.... and yet, here we were with a 5 year old and a 9 year old - parents...  I think back and thank God for His grace!  

And I rejoice today -- that I realize ...Brendan  .....really could not help and relieve any emotion at a time of crisis...only GOD can...  as HE is our perfect Father.  


Ok, back to 911 -
I remember at that moment - thoughts  and more thoughts ....was this the end of the world?
Was this the end?  I prayed with some fear - but with peace.

And I, like many other people,   watched the TV for the next month ......and life changed.



Has it changed?  That next weekend there were MORE people in church than ever before...and yet...today -- is that the same?  


Today I am sitting in a beautiful spot -- Little Torch Key.
Brendan and I are being blessed -- a treat.  5 days in a private home that sits at the end of a point... where water reaches around 3 sides.  I awoke this am to the most beautiful sunrise...  it is hard to explain -- but it is as beautiful as the ones you see on TV or painted on a mural.   God certainly paints wonderful pictures... HIS nature is pure.    We are being blessed.  An anniversary present... 27 years... and God knew we'd celebrate it here.  I am moved to tears.......

 I marvel at God's beauty and splendor and yet...feel so TINY here ....as a hurricane or even the major thunderstorm this am--- kind of....well... it made me realize -- we are just but a 'spot' on this Earth.

Time is so short.   There is a big movie campaign right now -- the Left Behind movie comes out next month.  It makes you think -- do I have tomorrow?

  A community member was laid to rest this past week -- no one expected him to meet his maker --this soon in life.  A sweet woman and mother, got cancer and within the year met Jesus too.  My own childhood friend battled cancer bravely for several years but lost her fight last fall.   In my own life,  I never would of expected to  sit with my sister as she made plans to bury her son ...now almost 6 years ago...  And then another friend that had to say good bye to her son .... a Grandmother that is praying up a storm for a granddaughter with cancer..... A loved one dealing with the death of her marriage.... ...the list goes on...


Lord,  I know that I know - YOU are with us in ALL of this....  YOU comfort and provide....and You have sent Your Holy Spirit to speak and be with us here...   Lord --

I don't want to take this day for granted...

Psalm 46.10 says... "Be still,  and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth".  


You Lord are being exalted -- within our day today, I marveled at the history and beauty of this 'southern most part of the United States'.  I studied old maps and thought about the years and years and work that was involved to extend the highway over ocean.  Man does some pretty incredible feats...and yet...man can't save another from eternity....only YOU can Lord -- 

I mean, there are many brave men and women that place their lives on the line daily and as many remember the events of 911, 2001..... I too remember their families and pray that hearts are healing... and that each family affected knows and believes that they will see their loved one in heaven.    

It is important to remember those that have lost their lives...and given their lives for us -- but I believe it is just as important to live a life....that shows...God is exalted and a life that leads others  to HIM.  I want to lead a life where others say, "I want what she gots!".....  

Lord, I pray for those families.  Lord, I pray now for the hurting ones around me.  Lord, I thank you for the healing You provide and Lord, I am thankful for this beautiful spot where I get to witness your beauty and splendor as the sun rises and sets in this southern point.  You truly are a God of majesty.  I honor You Lord, Amen.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!