Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Prayer #21 -- For a Sister in Christ in Crisis. - Dietrick Bonhoeffer

My handsome hubby -- reads.  He reads a lot.  He got a book in Colorado this summer and finished it today -- Michael Van Dyke's "The Story of   Dietrich Bonhoeffer" .  
As Brendan was speaking about the book and sharing with me some of his quotes and something he wrote into his journal I became very curious and thought -- this book is one I need to read. 

With that I will add it to my list -- however, as I paged through, I read what Bren had highlighted and this came to be: 

Dietrich was  in prison - and I am quoting page 161- 

He was praying more and more than every before, yet he felt no special sense of God's presence in the prison.  He only felt his responsibility to be a man of God and, if necessary, to suffer where God had placed him.  He was starting to think that true faith did not involve feelings at all -- that it was instead the God-given ability to respond in love to the world as it was.  Faith was no escape hatch from the power of evil men: true faith often placed one directly in the grip of evil.  Hadn't Jesus Himself proved a demonstration of this truth?  

This has stopped me -- in my tracks.
"he felt no special sense of God's presence in the prison" ---


Whoa -- 

I felt that tonight's prayer would be this -- and I pray that this meaning of this quote from one of the world's  most brilliant minds  would some how speak to me...to you ...to anyone...



Lord, so often I come to you asking for something to be done -- something to be moved  or something to happen.  Lord, so often I come to you and remind you that I 'don't feel anything'....Lord, this book will be read when you get me time, but this quote is for me and another this eve.....

Lord, forgive us ...Faith is no escape hatch.  Some of the women I pray for -- don't have the escape hatch from the evil within their lives.  

Lord, forgive me....is my faith THIS strong?   Would I have as much faith if You had not provided a miracle within my marriage and we are now as one again?  

I want to believe Lord that I would have....

Lord, for those women this eve -- that are facing this question -- that they feel the responsibility to be a man of God -- a woman of God.   Lord, speak -- IN Jesus name...Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know how this touched you . . . thanks!